Chronic Copper Sulfate Poisoning
KeywordsCopper sulfate poisoning, kidney injury
Copper, as a salt, is toxic and has the potential to harm multiple organs. Copper intoxication causes intravascular haemolysis followed by liver and kidney failure that can be fatal. We present a case of chronic copper sulfate poisoning in a 66-year-old man with dysphagia to solids and liquids, anaemia, acute kidney injury, liver cytolysis and hypocalcaemia. The patient improved with supportive care, but chronic kidney disease was established. Anamnesis was crucial for the diagnosis, given the non-specific signs and symptoms. The history of chronic exposure to pest treatment with a blue dust cloud made us suspect copper sulfate poisoning.
Issue: 2021: Vol 8 No 2 (view)