Boldo-Induced Hepatotoxicity: A Case of Unexplained Jaundice
KeywordsPeumus boldus, herbal medicines, hepatotoxicity
An 87-year-old man was admitted with a 2-week history of asthenia, anorexia and jaundice. Blood tests showed increased serum liver enzymes. The aetiological study was inconclusive. The patient had a favourable clinical evolution during hospitalization with supportive care. His wife revealed that the patient had repeatedly consumed infusions of Peumus boldus (commonly known as boldo) leaves during the previous month. After common causes of hepatobiliary pathology were excluded, boldo-induced hepatotoxicity was considered probable. Cessation of its consumption led to complete clinical and laboratory recovery within a week.
Nortadas R, Barata J. Herbal therapy-induced toxic hepatitis – a case report. Revista da Sociedade Portuguesa de Medicina Interna 2011;18(2):89–92.
European Medicines Agency. Committee on Herbal Medicinal Products (HMPC). Assessment report on Peumus boldus Molina, folium. EMA/HMPC/453726/2016. 2 November 2016.
Piscaglia F, Leoni S, Venturi A, Graziella F, Donati G, Bolondi L. Caution in the use of boldo in herbal laxatives: a case of hepatotoxicity. Scand J Gastroenterol 2005;40(2):236–239.
Ribeiro RJ, Silvestre C, Duarte C. Hidden risks of alternative medicines: a case of boldo-induced hepatotoxicity. J Diet Suppl 2017;14(2):186–190.
Issue: Vol 8 No 1 (view)