European Journal of Case Reports in Internal Medicine - © EFIM
Interrupted aortic arch (IAA) is a rare congenital abnormality with only a few cases reported in adults. It is defined as complete loss of continuity between the ascending and descending portions of the aorta, and is usually associated with other cardiac defects. The diagnosis in adults should be suspected in the presence of refractory hypertension, a careful physical examination being crucial to early diagnosis. Magnetic resonance angiography (MRA) techniques can accurately characterize cardiovascular anatomy, and also provide information regarding heart chamber and valve function.
Interrupted aortic arch, refractory hypertension, bicuspid aortic valve, aortic coarctation
- Erden I, Osman K, Erden EC, Yalçin S. Silent interrupted aortic arch in an elderly patient. Cardiol J 2011;18:695–697.
- Gordon EA, Person T, Kavarana M, Ikonomidis JS. Interrupted aortic arch in the adult. J Card Surg 2011;26:405–409.
- Sakellaridis T, Argiriou M, Panagiotakopoulos V, Krassas A, Argiriou O, Charitos C. Latent congenital defect: interrupted aortic arch in an adult–case report and literature review. Vasc Endovascular Surg 2010;44:402–406.
- Patel DM, Maldjian PD, Lovoulos C. Interrupted aortic arch with post-interruption aneurysm and bicuspid aortic valve in an adult: a case report and literature review. Radiol Case Rep 2015;10:5–8.
- Tajdini M, Sardari A, Forouzannia SK, Baradaran A, Hosseini SMR, Kassaian SE. Asymptomatic interrupted aortic arch, severe tricuspid regurgitation, and bicuspid aortic valve in a 76-year-old woman. Tex Heart Inst J 2016;43:437–440.
- Messner G, Reul GJ, Flamm SD, Gregoric ID, Opfermann UT. Interrupted aortic arch in an adult single-stage extra-anatomic repair. Tex Heart Inst J 2002;29:118–121.
- Ponte M, Dias A, Dias Ferreira N, Fonseca C, Mota JC, Gama V. Interrupted aortic arch: a misdiagnosed cause of hypertension. Rev Port Cardiol 2014;33:389.
- Hoffman JI, Kaplan S. The incidence of congenital heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002;39:1890.
- Dillman JR, Yarram SG, D'Amico AR, Hernandez RJ. Interrupted aortic arch: spectrum of MRI findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2008;190:1467–1474.
- Hokenek F, Sever K, Ugurlucan M, Sakliyan M, Kinoglu B. Interrupted aortic arch in adulthood. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2008;56:140–142.