European Journal of Case Reports in Internal Medicine - © EFIM
Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuretic Hormone Secretion (SIADH) is a common cause of euvolemic hyponatremia which has many possible etiologies such as tumors (mainly lung cancers). We present a case of a 79-year old women hospitalized due to microcytic anemia with transfusion need and hyponatremia due to SIADH. Three primary tumors without known metastasis were discovered. The case shows the importance of studying causes of hyponatremia.
Hyponatremia, SIADH, Synchronous tumors
- Spasovski G, Vanholder R, Allolio B, Annane D, Ball S et al. Clinical practice guideline on diagnosis and treatment of hyponatraemia. Eur J Endocrinol 2014;170:G1–G47.
- Liamis G, Milionis H, Elisaf M. Causes of the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuresis. Am J Kidney Dis 2008;52:144–153.
- Castillo JJ, Vincent M, Justice E. Diagnosis and management of hyponatremia in cancer patients. Oncologist 2012;17:756-65.
- Berardi R, Rinaldi S, Caramanti M, Grohè C, Santoni M et al. Hyponatremia in cancer patients: Time for a new approach. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 2016;102:15-25.
- Ball SG, Iqbal Z. Diagnosis and treatment of hyponatraemia. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 2016;30:161-73.