European Journal of Case Reports in Internal Medicine - © EFIM
Hypocalcaemia is known for its neuromuscular symptoms, which are rapidly alleviated by intravenous supplementation. Calcium is also essential for both cardiac cell excitability and contraction. We present a case of acute heart failure due to hypocalcaemia in a young male with a complex medical history.
hypocalcemia; heart failure; long-term survivor childhood cancer
- Cooper MS, Gittoes NJL. Diagnosis and management of hypocalcaemia. BMJ 2008;336:1298–1302.
- Newman DB, Fidahussein SS, Kashiwagi DT, Kennel KA, Kashani KB, Wang Z, et al. Reversible cardiac dysfunction associated with hypocalcemia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of individual patient data. Heart Fail Rev 2014;19:199–205.
- Catalano A, Basile G, Lasco A. Hypocalcemia: a sometimes overlooked cause of heart failure in the elderly. Aging Clin Exp Res 2012;24:400–403.
- Suzuki T, Ikeda U, Fujikawa H, Saito K, Shimada K. Hypocalcemic heart failure: a reversible form of heart muscle disease. Clin Cardiol 1998;21:227–228.
- Mertens AC, Yasui Y, Neglia JP, Potter JD, Nesbit ME Jr, Ruccione K, et al. Late mortality experience in five-year survivors of childhood and adolescent cancer: the childhood cancer survivor study. J Clin Oncol 2001;19:3163–3172.
- Oeffinger KC, Mertens AC, Sklar CA, Kawashima T, Hudson MM, Meadows AT, et al. Chronic health conditions in adult survivors of childhood cancer. N Engl J Med 2006;355:1572–1582.