European Journal of Case Reports in Internal Medicine - © EFIM
We present the case of a patient who developed a liver abscess following screening colonoscopy. A colorectal screening program was introduced in the Netherlands in 2014 in order to reduce mortality from colorectal cancer. The patient in this report, a 63-year-old man with no significant medical history, underwent polypectomy of two polyps. Four days afterwards he presented to our emergency department with fever, nausea and vomiting. He was diagnosed with a Klebsiella pneumoniae liver abscess and was successfully treated with antibiotics for 6 weeks. This case highlights one of the risks of screening colonoscopy. Given the high number of colonoscopies due to the colorectal screening programs, we should be aware of complications in this mostly asymptomatic group of patients.
(pyogenic) liver abscess, Klebsiella pneumoniae, colonoscopy, screening
- Meddings L, Myers RP, Hubbard J, Shaheen AA, Laupland KB, Dixon E, et al. A population-based study of pyogenic liver abscesses in the United States: incidence, mortality, and temporal trends. Am J Gastroenterol 2010;105:117–124.
- Kaplan G, Gregson DB, Laupland KB, Population-based study of the epidemiology of and the risk factors for pyogenic liver abscess. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol <2004;2:1032–1038.
- Wang JH, Liu YC, Lee SS, Yen MY, Chen YS, Wang JH, et al. Primary liver abscess due to Klebsiella pneumoniae in Taiwan. Clin Infect Dis 1998;26:1434–1438.
- Kamal F, Williams G, Akbar H, Khan MA, Kadaria D. Klebsiella pneumoniae liver abscess: a case report and review of literature. Cureus 2017;9:e970.
- Lai HC, Chan CY, Peng CY, Chen CB, Huang WH. Pyogenic liver abscess associated with large colonic tubulovillous adenoma. World J Gastroenterol 2006;12:990–992.
- Gross RG, Reiter B, Korsten MA. Pyogenic liver abscess complicating colonoscopic polypectomy. Gastrointest Endosc 2008;67:767–768.
- Tan CB, Shah M, Rajan D, Lipka S, Ahmed S, Freedman L, et al. A solid organising cryptogenic liver abscess and its association with a colonic tubullovillous adenoma. BMJ Case Reports 2012. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2012-006431.
- Bonenfant F, Rousseau É, Farand P. Streptococcus anginosus pyogenic liver abscess following a screening colonoscopy. Can J Infect Dis Med Microbiol 2013;24:e45–e46.
- Huang WK, Chang JW, See LC, Tu HT, Chen JS, Liaw CC et al. Higher rate of colorectal cancer among patients with pyogenic liver abscess with Klebsiella pneumoniae than those without: an 11-year follow-up study. Colorectal Dis<7em> 2012;14:e794–e801.