European Journal of Case Reports in Internal Medicine - © EFIM
Pyogenic liver abscess is a potentially devastating clinical entity associated with significant morbidity and mortality. A myriad of causes for liver abscess have been described including intra-abdominal infections such as diverticulitis. Due to a non-specific presentation, clinicians often require a high level of suspicion in their diagnosis of this condition. A handful of cases of liver abscess have been described following colonoscopy which was usually a complicated procedure or one where multiple biopsies had been taken[3,4]. The case of a patient presenting pyrexia of unknown origin one week after undergoing an uncomplicated colonoscopy in which no biopsies were taken is reported. She was ultimately diagnosed with a pyogenic liver abscess.
liver abscess; MRI; Ultrasound; colonoscopy
- Johannsen EC, Sifri CD, Madoff LC. Pyogenic liver abscesses. Infect Dis Clin North Am 2000;14:547-63, vii.
- Murarka S, Pranav F, Dandavate V. Pyogenic liver abscess secondary to disseminated streptococcus anginosus from sigmoid diverticulitis. J Glob Infect Dis 2011;3:79-81.
- Paraskeva KD, Bury RW, Isaacs P. Streptococcus milleri liver abscesses: an unusual complication after colonoscopic removal of an impacted fish bone. Gastrointest Endosc 2000;51:357-8.
- Ross JJ, Cooley JS, Lee DL. Septic thrombophlebitis of the hepatic veins after colonoscopy: a case report. Gastrointest Endosc 2003;581:155-6.
- Low DE, Shoenut JP, Kennedy JK, Sharma G P, Harding GK et al. Prospective assessment of risk of bacteremia with colonoscopy and polypectomy. Dig Dis Sci 1987;32:1239-43.
- Nelson DB. Infectious disease complications of GI endoscopy: part II, exogenous infections. Gastrointest Endosc 2003;57:695-711.
- Meddings L, Myers RP, Hubbard J, Shaheen AA, Laupland KB, et al. A population-based study of pyogenic liver abscesses in the United States: incidence, mortality, and temporal trends. Am J Gastroenterol 2010;105:117-24.
- Pang TC, Fung T, Samra J, Hugh TJ, Smith RC. Pyogenic liver abscess: an audit of 10 years' experience. World J Gastroenterol 2011;17:1622-30.
- Lai HC, Chan CY, Peng CY, Chen, CB, Huang WH. Pyogenic liver abscess associated with large colonic tubulovillous adenoma. World J Gastroenterol 2006;12:990-2.